Friday, May 18, 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

The "Bloggers' Quilt Festival" coordinated by Amy of Amy's Creative Side begins today.  I have discovered so many talented quilters and beautiful quilts through these biannual linky parties...it is definitely worth checking it out!

I am usually pretty shy about putting my work forward for all to see (but also love to get feedback on the things I make...it makes for an odd combination, huh?).  I participated in the BQF once before and it was great fun.  So here it goes -- drumroll -- my entry for the Spring 2012 BQF is

Berry Patch!


Berry Patch!


This wee quilt made last winter (can you see the cold in these photos?) is one of my all-time favourites -- and my affection for it is heightened by the fact that I didn't have high expectations for it, I was just following my nose, playing around with "granny squares" (inspired by Jolene in this tutorial), some stashed Kona plum, and scraps I had cut into 2.5" squares a few weeks earlier (conveniently!).

The purpley-plum palette was a little bit of a challenge, and before I knew it this project had fully occupied my brain.  I find that the projects I end up most attached to are the ones that aren't smooth sailing, that present certain design problems.  This colour palette did just that.

The turning point for me was when I threw all my squares down on a yard of black and white Annie's Seed Catalogue (I had used one scrap, the berry for the centre of a granny square, ultimately placed at the centre of the quilt).  Suddenly the squares came to life!  I ended up scrapping 3 squares that just weren't playing nicely, but am so, so, so happy with the others, sashed in black and white.

I machine-quilted in the ditch along the sashing and then hand-quilted with perle cotton around the very centre square and then the perimeter of the nine-patch formed by each granny. I also hand-quilted in the outer border of plum solid, lines about 3/4" apart.

Berry Patch, detail


The backing fabric was one of my absolute favourites from my stash, Alexander Henry Viva.  I'm so happy that I get to see it every day.


Berry Patch back



Berry Patch, label


Thanks so much for coming by, and I really do love to get comments (and answer every single one!) -- so please feel free to add your voice.

And now it's time to go look at the green grass and get warmed up...! But when I'm next at the computer I'm going to explore all the lovelies linked at the BQF and you should too. You can click on the button below to get there.


Amy's Creative Side
.

17 comments:

grendelskin said...

Sweet berries! I can see how that color could be a challenge, but isn't it wonderful to conquer it? ou did beautifully.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's a gorgeous quilt (front and back!) and I love the fussy cut berry right at the heart of the quilt! Bravo!!

Annabella said...

It`s perfect for the quilt festival Jennifer.

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful quilt!

I really love the backing fabric and the seed catalogue print you chose for the sashing. They add a level of sophistication that's almost parisian. :-)

Sheila said...

I love the colours in this quilt and the text fabric is indeed, perfect.

Ariane said...

I love your little quilt!! Beautiful!!!

Jenelle said...

This is such a beautiful mini-quilt! The text print sashing is just genius and really makes the purples pop!

Mom said...

love the newsprint fabric!

margaret
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is great, you shouldn't be shy at all about sharing your work!

Anonymous said...

LOVE THIS! Seriously, what an awesome take on granny squares. I love them in the traditional white background bright colors, but this is so great. And the black and white fantastic, it just makes the colors works. I'm a purple girl all the way, so I'm biased, but this is going on my festival favs list for sure!

Deborah OHare said...

Great fabrics and colours in this quilt and a great backing fabric too!

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous way to make granny squares! I adore the Annie's Farm Stand print, and the adding it with the berry colours is so great! I love purple too but it can look very 'novelty' - you've done a fabulous job here. I'm making granny squares (slowly, in between other projects) and I'm really inspired by your quilt.

Janet said...

I wouldn't have said I am a purple lover but WOW - I love the colours in this quilt. I think it is the plum - and you're right - the black and white sets it off nicely. Wonderful quilt!

Leanne said...

This is lovely, I love the borders you used.

The Thompsons said...

I LOVE the colors of your Granny squares and the borders are awesome! It all works so well together!

Eileen said...

it's lovely! great fabrics and wonderful design. the black and white sashing really adds to it. great job all around. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Melinda said...

Okay - get out of town! This is amazing! And what perfect inspiration for me as I launch into my Anti-A-M granny square double header! :) And you hand quilted! Just...wow. Love it.