It has been a while since I posted, but I have been a very busy bee. The most important news for me is that my collaborator and I have finished the copy-edit checks on our manuscript, and the copyeditor has already cleaned it up and resubmitted to the press. Typesetting is next!
It has been four years from proposal to typesetting; this is not a terribly long time in the world of academe (my first book -- single-authored, a monograph -- took ten years from concept to publication, ugh), but it still feels great to have arrived at this point. It's pretty exciting to see it here and here. Yay!
In the context of my sewing life I do have other progress to report. I have had to resist the temptation to share progress shots of a quilt I made for (another) one of Frida's Montessori teachers -- because a couple of them have been known to peek at this blog:) Kelly's last day at the school is today, and her quilt is now ready.
Using another design from Kim Brackett's Scrapbasket Senstations -- this one is called "Tool Shed" -- I pulled a range of lavender, purple, blue, aqua, and pink prints from my stash. I was aiming for something pretty girly, more like Granny's tool shed.
I pieced with Aurifil 50 wt on Dot, my 1947 Singer Featherweight, after giving her a thorough cleaning and oiling. Dot may have been clean and tidy, but you can see that my work space was not. Sewing is messy, at least for me!
The background and sashing fabric is an unidentified natural solid from my stash...I think it's Kona Bone. My favourite detail has to be the deep blue narrow border, which is Tula Pink's Parisville "French Lace." I just love that shade of blue, also used in a couple of the tool shed blocks.
I straight-line quilted...well straight-ish, anyway.
I chose Kona Sky for the back and Lecien Petit Fleurs lilac pin dots for
the binding. I used all the lilac pin dots I had for the binding, which
says something about our family's feelings for Kelly!
Thank you for everything, Miss Kelly, and bonne chance!