Saturday, September 22, 2012

odds and ends

Getting the semester started, home life reconfigured (now estrogen-heavy, with my son off at university), and a massive manuscript ready for typesetting has left very little time for crafting and none for blogging...but I have worked in a few stitches here and there.  Here are my various odds and ends.

First the ends, since I have little in the way of finished objects to reprot. Earlier in the week, my extra yard of Melody Miller's orange retro clocks arrived (thank you, dear Brenda @ Pink Castle!!).   That very day I prewashed and finished cutting pattern pieces from view A of a stashed skirt pattern, McCall's 6290 (but with no pockets or ornamentation).


I hadn't had my sewing machine out for at least 3 weeks, so it felt great to stitch up this very simple skirt.


Melody Miller clocks, M6290 (modified)

The pattern is more flared/A-line that it looked from the envelope...didn't like that much, so I tapered at the centre back seam by about 1.5". Kindly ignore the chain-link, broken concrete, and plastic wheelbarrow.....

The skirt doesn't really swing up at the back, despite how it looks below...but as you can see, the Melody Miller linen-cotton does soften up a lot when washed, and wrinkles a bit.  A bit imperfect (as always), but love it!  
Melody Miller clocks, M6290 (modified)


In this photo, it looks like our little knight is giving it a thumbs-up too.  At least, I think that's what he's doing....

One more finish: my "diagonal lace" socks, very comfy but a little floppy.


a good day for wool socks

I started a second pair from Wendy Johnson's book, this one is "trilobite"... and this time I'm going down to 1.5 mm needles. I knit 'em fast and loose, dontcha know.


trilobite start























Now the odds: 

I have made tiny, tiny bits of progress on current English paper piecing projects, first mermaid stars, where I appliqued one and just surrounded myself with the others to brighten up a long work day, many hours spent alone at the computer.


first mermaid star appliqued



seeking some inspiration during a long work day

I am inching my way towards the finish line with the Loulouthi hexies...no photo available right now, but soon.


I really miss being at the sewing machine.

Remedy: over the past two weeks I jave committed myself to a couple of projects with schedules and deadlines...and that should help to turn things around:)



Mouthy Stitches 2


There's Mouthy Stitches 2, a swap in which we're making our secret partners an interpretation of a reversible totebag pattern. Shhhh, can't say much about this....

And then there's quite a serious gament sewing project: Gertie's coat sewalong, which uses her newly-released pattern for Butterick:



My sewing friend Melinda and I will be making our coats together, which will help immensely!  Our patterns are on order and we're already dreaming about wool and lining combinations...sure to bring about another garment-sewing deviation from my Stash Love pledge, but with the incredible displays of self-restraint I have exhibited this month (in the face of massive sales at some favourite fabric shops), I'm holding my head high.

xo

6 comments:

Lesly said...

Love that skirt! Such fun! Super envious of your coat making plans - I haven't sewn garments since I was in my 20s but from time to time I feel (and resist, so far) the urge. Like you, I am so under the gun with the beginning of the term (two new courses, eek!) plus a looming SSHRC app. I am itching to get to my machine, especially after having dropped serious coin at The Workroom yesterday.

Nic said...

I look forward to watching the coat being made. Might have to bookmark the SAL. I'd love to join in, but need to work my way up to a coat.

Knitting looks good. I have a similar guage problem and always need to drop down needle sizes.

Hope things calm down and you can get more me time in there soon

Annabella said...

LOL - love the pics of you and the knight! You look great even headless and almost torso-less as does the skirt. Lovely projects.

Hoola Tallulah said...

WOW, you have so much going on, all of it fabulous! I am especially loving your paper pieced stars, the fussy cut mermaids are glorious, swooon!

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Thanks so much, my sweet bloggy friends. I was really feeling like I was getting nowhere in my various sewing projects...but writing this post and hearing your feedback has given me a boost :)

quirky granola girl said...

you are amazing. that skirt is absolutely gorgeous. i never would have thought of that fabric for clothing. your finished socks are dreamy and i love the start of the new sock (especially perched on your toes). and your Mendocino EPP? swoonworthy. and i can't wait to see your coat fabric ideas. if i had someone to help me make fabric decisions for clothing i'd probably sew more of it :)
i'm working on some 1" hexies EPP tonight and thinking of you :)