Friday, July 8, 2011

crop rotation (or FWQAL week 6)

Okay, I'm digging deep in my search for farm-related titles for blog posts.  You may be relieved to know that I have just about exhausted my repertoire in this area (I'm no country girl!), so titles of future FWQAL (Farmer's Wife Quilt Along) posts may need to be strictly descriptive.

Onwards.

This week I put a new solid into rotation as I made my FW blocks  (what I'll call corn-fed yellow -- pulled from my stash initially to make the block called "Corn and Beans," although I still haven't got around to making that one)...and I see now that I have actually made quite a few blocks since my last week's post.

First up is "Cats and Mice":


Here is "Bowtie":



And "Broken Dishes":



These 3 were one evening's entertainment, and the first uses of that yellow.



Although the past week is now a bit of a blur, I think it was the following day that I made "Birds in the Air" (with the fabrics I had originally pulled for "Corn and Beans"... I was a bit dazed and confused by my summer cold...)



At this point I took a pic of all my blocks-to-date (there were 18), and tried to get a sense of how the colours were working together.  It was a very windy day, so it was a bit of a miracle that I managed to get all the blocks to sit still for a moment.



 I started to feel unsure about adding in all that yellow, and tried to move things back to the blue-and-green range with pops of orange (so much for rotating the crops!).

Here's "Friendship Flowers":


And "Ribbons":




And finally "Puss in the Corner":




I think these final three blocks of the week helped me to regain some balance:



In the coming week I want to try my hand at some of the more intricate blocks...maybe a little more paper piecing...?

8 comments:

Kim Brackett said...

Your blocks are looking fabulous! I finally caved and ordered my book yesterday. Couldn't hold out any longer. :-)

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Thank you -- and I bet you'll have a lot of fun with this QAL!

Wendi said...

I love the addition of the "corn-fed" yellow. I think your blocks are looking fantastic and very well balanced. ; )

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Did you see you won one of the Sew Fresh fabrics scrap packs on my blog???!!! Congratulations - I have one and they are fabulous. Email me at lilysquilts @ gmail . com with your name and mailing address and I will forward it to SFF.

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Yay! Thanks for tracking me down, Lynne. I had no idea I had won a scrap pack. Yippee!

And thank you Wendi for the kind comment. I really appreciate it!

verykerryberry said...

Fantastic blocks, so many as well! Thanks for your kitchen related comments too-the Ikea units you mention are still available here- I very nearly bought one! Did you know you are a no reply blogger at the moment? Maybe through choice?

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Thanks Kerry! I'm going to set up an e-mail address dedicated to online crafty things. Thanks for the nudge :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog ... I popped over from the LilysQuilts group on flickr ... and I'm so pleased ... your blocks are so fantastic!