Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I need more hours in the day :(

Too much to do and too little time.  Boo hoo.  The end of summer is in sight, and I hadn't had any real vacation time until this past weekend, when we visited my dear friends J and F in Evantson.  And this week I signed myself up for crafty day camp (for adults, of course!): a four-day workshop in natural dyeing.  (Right now my fabric is sitting in mordant baths, but I hope to have some interesting items to share soon.)  All my work-work is being pushed into the late afternoon and evening hours this week, but I think it will be worthwhile.

I'll have to keep this post brief -- which is difficult to do, because I am bursting with ideas and the desire to make things, even with so much on my plate.  Boo hoo.

Enough whining; on with it!

I got some treats in the mail.  First, I returned home to find my order from paperpieces.com


 -- which promises to facilitate the production of many more hexies for the Hexalong.  I just need to figure out where to take things in the next round of hexagon making!!

I played with the arrangement of the current lot -- just for the sake of picture-taking-- and I don't yet have things quite where I want them (not even close).  I need to stare at these photos for a while before taking action.


Sorry about the toes; space was limited :)




My Loulouthi hexies make me swoon -- sometimes in a good way (the fabrics are so lush and beautiful, aren't they?  Isn't it perfect for the candied hexagon project?) and sometimes in a not-so-good-way (why didn't I choose an easy, subtle palette for this quilt?  What was I thinking?!).  Oh well.  I'll work it out, but I might need to take a break from all this wild beauty; I could go "down home" and whip up some more of my Farmer's Wife blocks.  Yup.  I think I'll do that...as soon as I have time.  Boo hoo.

In other postal news: I also received the gorgeous scrap bag from Sew Fresh Fabrics -- which I won over at Lily's Quilts.  Yay!

There are so many little treasures in this bag...it makes me want to sew something new...but, alas, I cannot do so right now.  Boo hoo.  (Here we go again!)

Stop sniveling, Prof. S., and just appreciate your good fortune.  Look at all these beauties.


If only I had more time....I wish I could focus on the book manuscript every day AND go to crafty day camp AND clean my office AND do FMQing on my mom's quilt (I haven't even shown you that one yet!) AND get the undergrad documents in order AND make Farmer's Wife blocks AND experiment with making exotic popsicles (!) AND crack the nut that is my hexie quilt...AND start about 50 new projects.  Hmmm.  I think I'll have to settle for getting some writing done and playing with fabric for just a little while each day.  If I can do both of those things AND keep my family happy, then I think I'm in good shape.

Still, I can't help wishing for just a few more hours in every day. What would you do with more time?

7 comments:

LizA. said...

The hexies are looking very wonderful. That's all I want to work on right now but alas I have a deadline fast approaching for another project. Love the new fabrics, especially the giraffes!

Judith, Belfast said...

If only we didn't need to sleep - there's another 8 hours right there!! I feel your frustration. And I love the colourway you've got going with your hexies. Jxo

Sheila said...

You seem to be pulling it all off nonetheless! The hexies are looking great, that fabric is fab for fussy cutting isn't it?
Wonderful scraps.

Michelle @ the quilted tortoise said...

I so know how you feel, so many projects and such little time! And I don't even have kids! I fantasize about giving up work and sewing all day...

Tong said...

you and me both! but you seem to be managing just fine, you should see the sewing that i've done... barely any! if i had more time, i would cook all of our meals, start baking again, go to the gym everyday, make all the crafts and things i need for the wedding, and actually sew with my fabrics instead of just look at them (i barely have had time to even look at them now).

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Thanks so much for all these sweet comments. It's nice to know I'm in such good company!

Now if you could come over for a cup of tea and help me to rearrange my hexies, that would be ideal! So I guess I need more hours in each day AND a Star Trek-style transporter thingy.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm with you with needing more hours in the day! But your hexies are looking great and you have some stunning fabric. I hope time will come to you (and all of us) from somewhere. I wish we could pause the rest of the world like a video sometimes and restart it when we'd done some sewing...